Got zucchini? Don’t worry – I’ve got the perfect thing for you…
It’s time for some veggies around here! Fresh, sun-basking, garden veggies. All sauteed up into a delicious medley of crisp-tender flavor. And with a little sprinkling of mozzarella… because let’s face it – cheese just makes everything better.
I have been just waiting to share this recipe with you. When I started the blog, it was one of the first on my list of must-shares. And now… zucchini season is here and the time is right. I have been making this veggie medley for several years now, and to be honest the first time I made it I was wowed. This saute has such simple, basic ingredients, and it’s almost wholly comprised of veggies at that, and I couldn’t stop eating it! It’s that healthy food magic you dream of… veggies that taste so good you want to eat them – and only them – for your entire dinner! My husband even suggested that, perhaps, the next time we should make this a meal in itself.
To be fair, of course you must have really good produce to make a really good veggie saute. So, there’s that. But, we are in the peak of summertime produce and farmer’s markets right now. So now’s the time! In truth, I have made this throughout the year, with whatever produce is available at the supermarket, and it’s still great. But summer garden produce brings this to a whole delicious new level.
I’m going to tell you a little secret.
I don’t love vegetables. At least, not in general. Raw broccoli – ugh. Salad – um, no. Beets?? Yuck! And Brussels sprouts – sorry, no thanks.
But this zucchini saute? These are veggies I love. You have to understand – for me to go on like this about vegetables must mean it is really good. For real. Yum!
- 3 cups zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large tomato, cut into 12 wedges
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the zucchini, onions, and garlic and saute about 5 minutes. Add the dried seasonings and salt and saute for about 2 more minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Gently stir in the tomato wedges and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Remove skillet from the heat, and let stand until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Recipe slightly adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.