SUMMER!! It’s here!
This pie is the ultimate welcome to summer. Nothing tastes like summer quite like juicy, sweet, fresh, vibrant strawberries. And this pie features these delicious bites of summer perfectly. You just have to have some of this pie!
Now, I sort of hate it when people title their recipes “World’s Best …”. I mean, do people really think their recipe is the best in the whole world?? It bugs me… And here I am doing it. Ugh. Sorry.
But let me explain. I have a lot of recipes that are my personal favorite, that I have posted (or will post) on this site. But, I will never call them the “World’s Best”, because in most cases I’m sure there are other versions that are equally as good, albeit maybe different. This pie, however… well, it’s just the best ever. To be fair, I have tried numerous strawberry pies in my life, lulled in by the bright red color and promise of sweet, juicy freshness. But, every strawberry pie I have ever tried has disappointed me. They always have this glaze with a weird taste, a strange artificial tanginess… have you noticed that? Bleh!
This pie recipe, which comes from my mom, is the only one I have ever tasted that doesn’t have that weird tangy taste. This pie is just simple, fresh and sweet and allows the natural taste of the strawberries to shine. It tastes like summer on a fork. It’s the perfect ending to a summer cookout, or a 4th of July celebration.
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup strawberry jello
- 1½ qts fresh strawberries, sliced into bite size pieces
- Whipped cream, if desired
- Prepare pie crust, and bake according to directions; cool.
- Combine the sugar, water, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the jello. Stir for several more minutes until jello is fully dissolved. Set aside and cool until partially set.
- Place sliced strawberries into the cooled pie shell. Pour the jello mixture carefully over the strawberries.
- Chill for 4 hours. Top with whipped cream if desired.