That’s it. Just YUM.
Oh, and EASY, too! And… a perfect-for-summer crock-pot meal! These take about 10 minutes to get in the crock in the morning, then they cook all day into delicious meat for your summer tacos. You will come home to a delicious smelling house with dinner almost ready to eat. Can’t beat that!
The meat is juicy and tender. It nearly falls apart on it’s own when you take it out of the crock pot to shred. It tastes as good the next day, so if you are having guests, you could cook the meat ahead of time and then set up a self-serve taco bar. So easy. You will be popular, too! I promise.
I made these tacos for the first time a few years ago, and halfway through the first bite I knew these tacos were a keeper. The only problem with eating these tacos, is that in my mind I should really be sitting in a little beach cafe somewhere in California or Mexico, watching the waves crashing, feeling the sand between my toes, feeling the salty breeze blow through my hair, and enjoying it all with a cold margarita in my hand. Ummm… instead, I’m sitting in my kitchen dreaming of such things… sigh.
When I first made these, the recipe called for flank steak. Well, for some reason, I did not write down my grocery list and thought I had it all in my head. Ha, ha. Nope. I ended up at home with 2 pounds of skirt steak instead, wondering if it would work as a substitute. I really had no choice. It turned out to be a great mistake, because the tacos were awesome. I later made these with flank steak and did not like them as well. So, it’s your choice, really, but I recommend the skirt steak.
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- small corn tortillas
- avocado slices
- shredded cheese
- fresh limes
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl. Rub the entire spice mixture evenly into the skirt steak. Place the steak into the bottom of a crock pot. If you have any left over spice mixture that didn't stick to the steak, sprinkle it in the crock pot as well. You want all that flavor in there!
- Place the chopped onions, peppers and jalapeno on top of the steak. Cover and turn the crock-pot on low. Cook for 8 hours.
- Remove the steak from the crock pot and shred using two forks. The meat should be very tender and will nearly fall apart with very little effort. Place the meat back in the crock pot.
- To assemble the tacos, heat a corn tortilla in a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of cheese and allow it to melt. Fill your tortilla with some meat, your favorite salsa, and a slice of avocado. Sprinkle with some cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
Recipe slightly adapted from Eat Live Run.