BOO! Join me for a Halloween coffee break… 1. There is nothing in the world that makes it feel like Halloween more than hand-carved Jack O’ Lanterns eerily flickering orange in the black night. It’s a bit magical… don’t you think?
2. Speaking of Halloween, these cupcakes are way too clever… I mean, Zombies stealing sprinkles?? So perfect.
3. And you can’t have Halloween without a little Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky to set the mood. The music was originally inspired by a short story about a witch gathering on Bald Mountain to hold sabbath for the devil, written by Nikolai Gogol. The music is so vivid, you can just about picture the witches swooping and circling through the air, congregating on the mountain top around a fiery alter, cackling and gossiping, casting spells, and conjuring up evil spirits, while ghouls and goblins flicker through the misty shadows of the woods below.
4. Ummmm… this is really, truly spooky: The Great Pumpkin – a ginormous asteroid that will narrowly miss crashing into our home planet Earth on Halloween Day. Creeepy….
5. So… I came home from work the other night, excited to eat some delicious broccoli cheese soup that had been cooking in the crock pot all day, just to discover that while I had turned it on, I forgot to actually plug it in. Uh… duh… Dinner fail.
6. I recently finished Frisky Business by Clodagh Murphy, which is a great lighthearted, easy read. Not exactly fine literature… but sometimes you just need a warm, cozy escape read and this fits the bill. It has a fun touch of Halloween and, believe it or not, Star Wars. Don’t be scared – it’s subtle and mostly well done. And the last line of the book, albeit a bit corny, is perfection. It’s still making me smile.
7. This song. It had me at Hello.
Wishing you the happiest, spookiest, creepiest, trickiest, best-ever Halloween!