So, this cake has basically nothing to do with Ireland or St. Patrick’s Day. Other than… it’s green. And, pretty much anything that is green qualifies as St. Patrick’s Day fare, don’t you think? In the future, I hope to expand my recipe repertoire to include foods that are actually Irish in origin, such as Irish Soda Bread, Potato Soup, Corned Beef and Cabbage and maybe even Guinness Chocolate Cake with Irish Whiskey Caramel Glaze. Oh… I just realized that is pretty much a complete menu, right there! Maybe next year… But, until then, this delicious cake will just have to do!
This cake has been in my life for years. My mom used to make this cake when I was growing up and it is always delicious. It’s so easy, and turns out great every time. Someday, if I have the time, I might try to create this recipe completely from scratch, but then again, it’s so perfect just like it is that it would be difficult to create a cake equally as good. This cake is a crowd pleaser… everyone seems to love this cake. It has just enough chocolate to appeal to chocolate lovers, but the flavor is predominately rich mint so as not to put off those who don’t love chocolate (ummm… what? this concept is pretty much incomprehensible to me!). So, don’t save this cake only for St. Paddy’s Day. It would be great for birthdays, potlucks, school functions, and bake sales.
In the spirit of the holiday, I will leave you today with an Irish Blessing that I have always loved:
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face
And the rain fall soft upon your fields;
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
- 1 package white cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
- 1¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup creme de menthe (see notes)
- 1 jar Mrs. Richardson's hot fudge sauce
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- ¼ cup creme de menthe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- Mix the cake according to directions on the package and add ¼ cup creme de menthe. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake according to package directions. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When the cake is completely cool, spread the fudge sauce evenly over the cake.
- Add ¼ cup creme de menthe to the Cool Whip in a large bowl. Fold in creme de menthe until thoroughly combined. Spread over the fudge layer.